Monday, December 17, 2012

Movies In Lakota

So, I've been on this kick where I've been taking pop culture things, namely movies, and re-imagining them in with Lakota text. 


So, here's how I kind of imagine The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as a Lakota story. "Wangi" is the Lakota word for the little people, or little spirit people. "Kin" is a Lakota word but its origin lies more with the Jesuits and other missionaries who've used it as the word "The." "Canku Okokipe" is the "Road Dangerous."


Here's a famous quote by Arnold from the movie "The Terminator." Arnold says, "I'll be back." In Lakota, the term toksa [dohk-SHAH] is a future tense word that is most often meant to mean "Next time." Ake [ah-KAY] means again, and po, is a suffix men use to finish what their statement. 


"Move yourself, my day is good."
"Dirty" Harry Callahan from the movie Sudden Impact.

Star Lodge-Door
Stargate, one of my all-time favorite movies.

The Day Is Good: A Difficult Death
A Good Day To Die Hard

"...and monkeys out of my butt will come!"
Wayne Campbell [Mike Myers], from the movie Wayne's World.

"Luke, it is so, here I am, you're father."
Darth Vader, from The Empire Strikes Back.

Always Be Prepared Mother Russia
Yippie-Kai-Yay Mother Russia, A Good Day To Die Hard

With-Energy The Fifth
The Fifth Element

"On behalf of my little friend say 'hau.'"
"Say 'Hello' to my little friend," Tony Montana, Scarface

The famous quote "You Shall Not Pass," Gandalf The Grey [Ian McKellen], The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment